Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Leadership Thought to Always Remember

Okay, I may have broken the law by posting someone else's picture on my blog without their written consent, but I think that my blog is obscure enough that the photographer won't really mind.

As we all know, leadership is influence. And because a leader has influence, he or she will be out front leading the way, just like this picture depicts. However, there is something that we, as Christian leaders, often overlook in our efforts to become better, more effective leaders. Many times we fail to recognize that we are Christians before we are leaders. In other words, we often put so much focus on being a leader, or on our responsibilities, position, and ministries, that we fail to focus on the fact that we are Christians, or as the word signifies, followers of Christ. Hey, I know that I'm preaching to the choir here, because I am as guilty of this as every other John Doe. We, as leaders, tend to listen to scores of teachings on leadership, devote hours a week to reading books on leadership, and even attend leadership conferences throughout the year. Now as important as this may be, how much time do we actually focus on becoming more like Christ? I'm not saying, "How much time do we devote to becoming better Christian leaders," but "How much time do we focus on developing the characteristics of Christ in our lives." Remember, we are Christians before we are leaders. Sure, I may be the Senior Executive Pastor of a church with the average weekend attendance of 7,500 people, so you could say that I am a leader because I have an influence over a large group of people. However, if you take me out of this position I may no longer have a title or position or the influence of a leader, but I will still be a Christian. So regardless of how far I climb on the ladder of influence, or what title I may one day carry, if you took it all away, I would still be a Christian. That my friends, should be the foundation of our leadership. Our leadership should be a reflection of our relationship with Christ. As important as it is to study and learn, our ability to lead should not come from a book or a class, but come from our relationship with Christ. If we want to be a better leader, we need to spend time in prayer. If we want to be more effective, we need to spend more time in God's Word. If we want to experience breakthroughs in our leadership, then we need to spend time fasting and seeking the face of God. It is when we get back to the basics of Christianity and focus on God and glorifying Him, as opposed to trying to reach some new level of leadership, that all the things that we heard, studied, and read regarding leadership, can then truly be put into practice. We need to remember that we are Christians first before everything else.

1 comment:

D. Thaler said...

Amen good preaching. I love it! Keep up the great blogs. Thank you for being faithful to God's call on your life, you are truely making a difference. David